Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Hallelujah

I've heard many versions of the song, "Hallelujah" but never registered all of the lyrics. (Remember Shrek??) In class, Dr. Sexton mentioned the reference to the story of David and Bathsheba in the lyrics, and while I believed him entirely, I felt I needed to research this myself.

Sure enough, very first line!
But, the seduction doesn't begin until the second verse:

"Your faith was strong but you needed proof
You saw her bathing on the roof
Her beauty and the moonlight overthrew you
She tied you
To a kitchen chair
She broke your throne, and she cut your hair
And from your lips she drew the hallelujah"

Now, I'm not sure about the tying to the chair part...I'd have to brush up on 2 Samuel.

Leonard Cohen was the original singer/songwriter, which I did not know. I found this youtube video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YrLk4vdY28Q, and in my humble opinion, I must admit...this version is the least appealing! The cover by Jeff Buckley is my favorite! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y8AWFf7EAc4)

I don't really remember what I had for breakfast, or how this little gem of information was brought up in class. But, it reminded me how interconnected everything really is, nothing is original (even song lyrics), and that (thus far) Dr. Sexton knows what he's talking about.

No comments:

Post a Comment